Monday, December 7, 2009

Ironic (Don't Ya Think?)...

So it's official...

The Ohio State Buckeyes are going to face the Oregon Ducks in the Rose Bowl on New Year's Day. I'm actually really excited for this one. Like I said before, the last time OSU went to the Rose Bowl was in 1997 (hard to believe, no?).

The other BCS matchups:
National Championship Game: Texas vs Alabama
Sugar Bowl: Florida vs Cincinnati
Fiesta Bowl: Boise State vs TCU
Orange Bowl: Iowa vs Georgia Tech

Potential for some great games here...

But what if the events of my everyday life could predict the outcome for the Buckeyes? Let me explain...

So today at work, my boss treated our section to our annual "end-of-the-year" lunch. This year, we went to Montgomery Inn, famous for their ribs and barbeque. Yum!!

But the ironic part didn't involve the food. So we went in and sat down and after a few minutes, a group of men came in and sat down at the table across from us. I thought that one of the men looked familiar and I recognized who it looked like right away. I didn't say anything to anyone because I didn't want to create a scene and also because I wasn't sure that it was really him. But as our lunch progressed, I became more and more convinced that it was him.

So towards the end of our lunch, the group of men got up and left. As they walked out, my co-worker beside me said to me, "Hey, wasn't that Pete Rose?" And I said, "That's what I thought too, but I didn't want to say anything. It sure looked like him!"

And then I casually dropped in this beauty of a joke: "I'll tell you what, I'll bet you $100 that it was Pete Rose." And my friend just laughed. Could it have been the great "Charlie Hustle?" Eating in the same restaurant as us? Well, he does live in the area. Maybe it was him. Like I said, it sure looked like him.

So the irony here is that a day after Ohio State officially earned a Rose Bowl berth, we see the great Pete Rose eating lunch at Montgomery Inn.

Call me crazy, but I think that seeing Pete Rose at lunch is a sign that OSU will come away with a Rose Bowl win this year. Anyone want to take that bet? Haha...


No comments: