Monday, January 19, 2009

Flowers, Joel McHale, MLK, and JT...

So let me just say that this last weekend was really awesome!!

Let me first lay the background...

Back around Christmas, I was surfing around online and happened to notice that Joel McHale (stand-up comedian, host of "The Soup") was going to be performing live in Cincinnati on Sunday night, January 18th. Knowing that Mr. McHale is one of Julie's favorite comedians (we watch "The Soup" together often and laugh hysterically), and that we would both have the following Monday off of work for MLK day, I went ahead and ordered tickets. But I didn't tell Julie about it. I only told her that I had a "special evening out on the town" planned and that she would have to wait to find out what it was. I'm so sneaky, I know. But it's part of nurturing romance in a relationship ;-)

So, I decided to inform her of our plans for the evening in a special way. I decided to send her some flowers and include the tickets in the envelope along with a card.

Let me just say that it worked out extremely well! Julie was so surprised! I had the flowers delivered to her school on Friday afternoon and she was called down to the office to pick them up. But she didn't know why she was being called down until she got there. She was so excited to get flowers and an envelope with two tickets to the Joel McHale show! Her principal, secretaries, and fellow teachers were so jealous. I guess that guys don't send flowers often to women that work in that school. So, I was an instant celebrity among all the female teachers and staff!

Even Julie's students were impressed. The girls in her class asked if they could come up and smell the flowers. The students were asking her if the flowers were from her boyfriend or her husband. And one girl even asked if the flowers were from Martin Luther King, Jr!! Priceless. Needless to say, it made Julie's day (and week)!! And she called me Friday evening to tell me. It was great to hear her voice and her level of excitement!

I thought that the flower arrangement itself looked really good. Of course, I picked out the roses, the vase, and the card. But the florist did a great job with the filler. It looked great! It was perfect.

So then I spent Saturday at Julie's place just hanging around with her. We were both fasting on Saturday as part of our church's current series. So even though we were hungry, we were in it together. That was nice because we could give each other support. We spent most of the day playing Mario Galaxy on her Wii and listening to some great new music. And of course, we watched "The Soup."

We also had a chance to be a little silly. Maybe it was the lack of food or whatever. But I was sort of chilly at her place, having just a t-shirt on. So Julie offered me one of her hoodie sweatshirts to wear. I tried it on and it fit me surprisingly well! I could definitely tell that it was a woman's shirt though, because of the cut. It was a little shorter than a guy's shirt would be and of course it accentuated my hourglass figure. haha! But Julie thought it looked good on me.

So then yesterday was the big night. Going to see Joel McHale!! He was really good. Maybe a little raunchy at times, but I guess that's to be expected with most stand-up comedians. But he had some great jokes concerning Britney Spears, his two sons, and of course his arch-nemesis Ryan Seacrest. Most of which were hilarious, but probably a little too "adult" for this blog.

All in all, it was an awesome weekend! I'm looking forward to spending more great times with JT in the future!!

No comments: