Sunday, April 5, 2009

A Happy Day...

So let me just say that today was a pretty good day.

I got baptized this morning at church, and it was awesome!! I had been having second thoughts earlier this week, just because I was feeling really overwhelmed with everything that had happened the last week and a half and I felt that maybe I needed to step back and wait a little longer. But I'm so glad that I followed through with it! The Lord surely does honor obedience!

So why was it so awesome? Let me tell you why. It just was.

I was a little nervous beforehand, and the thought going through my mind was that I had already been baptized when I was 13 and now I felt that I was "too old" and had been a Christian for "too long" to be baptized again. I was worried about what other people were going to think about me. You know, the old predictable me. But as the time neared for me to go up, I heard The Lord say to me, "It's just you and Me now. It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. I love you and I am proud of you, my son." And then it was on.

I felt such a great confidence as I walked up on the stage. And I literally forgot about everyone in the crowd for a few minutes. And when I sat in the tub, I got a huge smile on my face that just wouldn't go away. I can't explain it, but I could not stop smiling. I just felt really great because I had such strong confidence in myself and what I had chosen to do because I knew The Lord was behind me.

And afterwards, I just felt this amazing peace. And I don't know how else to describe it, other than it just felt great. Lots of people came up to me afterwards and congratulated me. And a couple of people in particular literally told me that I just had a huge smile across my face the whole time I was up there. Like nothing else mattered other than what I was doing. That is such a great testimony to how God has literally changed my life around. And now I just feel totally rejuvenated and ready to serve Christ even more than before. Awesome. Just awesome.

It is truly amazing to think of where The Lord has brought me over the last two years. The old me definitely would have had a much different experience. I probably would have done it more out of obligation than of desire, while the whole time wondering what people thought about me and what they would say about me. But honestly? This morning, I just didn't care. It didn't even cross my mind. The Lord has brought me such confidence that I can go forward being who He has created me to be. Free from fear and self-doubt, and knowing that I am loved and accepted by my Heavenly Father. And ultimately, that's all that matters.

As Easter approaches, let us all remember what Easter is all about. Easter is not about wearing your best suit and tie to church, it's not about Easter baskets or some magical bunny, and it's not even about seeing your family. It's about celebrating the resurrection of Jesus Christ, who defeated death itself and arose victoriously. And He offers this same salvation to us that we might live eternally with Him. That's why my baptism was so meaningful and why I wanted to do it. It symbolizes that I have chosen to "die" to myself so that I can rise again victoriously with Christ. Amen, Amen!!


1 comment:

Gary 'PreacherMan' Ginter said...

Ben, Just want to say how proud I am of you, your accomplishments, but most of all your faith and your relationship with God. Just wish your mom and I could have been there to share your moment with you.

Dad