Thursday, September 17, 2009

Birthday Boy...

Well, another birthday has come and gone. I'm the big 2-8 now. Another year older. Another year wiser. Or so they say... *sigh*

This year's birthday was pretty low-key. I didn't do anything special today. In fact, I don't think anyone at work even knew it was my birthday. But I did get some cards in the mail and I got text messages from about 5 of my friends today, which was nice.

But maybe it was appropriate that things were low-key this year. For those who know me, I'm not usually big into fancy celebrations. I much prefer the simple things. And maybe this year, celebrating by myself just seemed appropriate.

But take for instance my day today: I went to work just like I always do and no one even mentioned my birthday today (which was just fine with me). But I did do some special things for myself today. I had lunch at Chipotle (yum!!). I got a milkshake tonight after dinner (always one of my favorite things to do). I drove home with my windows all the way down (rock on!). And I came home, relaxed, and watched a classic episode of Futurama (you know the one... the one where they go back in time to 1947 Roswell and Fry becomes his own grandpa... probably the best episode ever!). Hey, sometimes you just have to spoil yourself!!

Also, I treated myself to a Reds game on Tuesday night. Why Tuesday night, you ask? Well, the Houston Astros were in town and I have always wanted to see their best pitcher Roy Oswalt pitch. So I went downtown after work and splurged for a decent field-level seat.


Oswalt pitched well for the first 5 innings, but then got into trouble in the 6th. He was pulled with a 4-2 lead, but the bullpen blew the lead (again). Eventually, the Reds came back to win 5-4. For Oswalt, this must seem like a strange season. He's started 30 games, but he'll end with a record of only 8-6 and his 4.12 ERA is a career-high. Gotta be a disappointing season for a guy who has been automatic for 15 to 20 wins and sub 3.50 ERA every year for the last 8 years. Ironically, after the game, the Astros placed Oswalt on the DL for the rest of the year (back pain). So looks like I got to see him just in time!

So now, I've been able to see some of the best pitchers of my generation live and in-person. Greg Maddux (in 1995), Curt Schilling (1997), Roger Clemens (2002), Andy Pettitte (2005), Justin Verlander (2008), and now Roy Oswalt this year. Not too shabby!













By the way, the Reds game was interesting also because it was "Bark in the Park" night. Which is a fancy name for their promotional night where fans can bring their dogs to the park. So in addition to seeing Oswalt pitch, I also got to see a bunch of really cute dogs! The funniest part was when they did the "Kiss Cam" portion... a bunch of folks kissed their dogs when the camera was on them! Too funny...

I also got a sweet handout at the game. A Reds doggie dish!! So consequently, I have a pretty nice Reds doggie dish if anyone wants one...

No comments: