Monday, September 21, 2009

Go Figure...

What in the Wide World of Sports???!!!

So let me get this straight...

One weekend after nearly falling to Ohio State in the 'Shoe, USC goes and loses to... Washington?? Huh??

I commented in my last post after attending the OSU-USC game that I thought that game last week should have been won by the Buckeyes. And I also thought that our ultra-conservative play-calling was to blame. But instead of my beloved Bucks defeating the invincible Trojans, the lowly Washington Huskies went out and did it instead. So, on second thought, maybe USC isn't the juggernaut this year that we have come to expect them to be year in and year out.

So what does that tell you about the Buckeyes and the Big Ten? Ohio State could not beat USC in the Horseshoe, probably the 2nd toughest place for a visiting team to play. But now, Washington was able to beat them in Huskie Stadium. And remember, this is the same Washington team that went 0-12 last year. So if Pac-10 doormat Washington can outplay Ohio State, it's going to be a sad season for the Big Ten.

Granted, USC's golden boy freshman QB didn't play this week. And a lot of people are probably going to use that as an excuse. But I would contend that it wouldn't have mattered. USC has Parade All-Americans 3-deep at QB, so I'm sure they have more than enough talent on the bench. Remember, Matt Cassel, a career backup at USC, is now starting in the NFL. Besides, with their line and talent at the other skill positions, a monkey could probably quarterback that team and win 10 games.

This is part of the problem I have with USC and Pete Carroll. Granted, Carroll comes up huge in big games. I'll give him that. But given the superior talent stocked up at USC, they should not lose during the regular season. Ever. But every year, somehow they manage to lose a game to a far inferior team (usually within the Pac-10) that just makes you go, "Huh?" Anyone remember the Stanford game a few years ago where they were favored by 40 points and lost? The Oregon State game last year? How about the UCLA game in 2006? Anybody?

Now Jim Tressel has taken a lot of flack this last week for blowing the game last week. And he does deserve some of it. But I will say this for Tressel... at least he wins the games he is supposed to win. You will likely never see Ohio State lose to a far less-talented team like Northwestern or Indiana.

But now I have a dilemma. I don't know whether to just enjoy in the fact that USC lost (which is pretty satisfying), or to be upset because it should have been Ohio State who handed them the loss and not Washington.

Oh well. They lost. I'll just enjoy that while I can.


No comments: