Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Snow Day!!!

So today, I got a rare snow day and got to stay home from work! It's only happened a couple times since I've started working here in Cincinnati. All the local schools around here had closed for the last three days, but today I finally got to join in on the fun!

This is what it looked like outside my front door today. The bad weather rolled in yesterday afternoon and just kept coming. We got freezing rain last night and I had to chip the ice off of my car just to drive back home from work. Yuck!!

Then this morning, I got a call saying that my office building didn't have power. So they told everyone to stay home today! Sweet! It's just like being back in school when they would cancel for bad weather!

So what should I do with my time off? Do laundry? Work on my taxes? Take down my Christmas tree? All good options, but none that I feel like doing on a "free day." Instead, I'll play some PS2, watch some TV, and even write a blog about it!

Speaking of watching TV... so normally I don't watch much TV anymore. I'm way too busy for that. But recently, Julie has got me hooked on "The Biggest Loser." We happened to watch it together a few weeks ago and now I can't resist it! I had DVR'd this week's episode from last night and watched it today. So for those of you who haven't seen it yet, consider this a spoiler alert.

With all the truly bad TV shows on nowadays that reward greed and selfishness, "The Biggest Loser" is definitely a breath of fresh air. The people on the show are genuine folks who just have trouble taking care of themselves. I've never seen a show like this where all the contestants truly care for each other and genuinely want to help each other better themselves.

I hate watching the end of the show when one of the teams is voted off. You grow to like everyone on the show and you hate that some of them have to go. Like this week, it came down between Ron and Mike (a father/son combo who are both really great guys) and Dan and David (two teenage friends who both weighed around 400 lbs when the show started). You don't want to see either of these teams have to leave because they all need it so much. You can just see the self-esteem and confidence building in them each week.

But Dan and David got the axe this week in a close finish. After the show, they showed that Dan (who started out at 454 lbs) had lost 101 lbs to date. That is amazing! Here is a kid who decided to take control of his life and make a change for the better. He is truly an inspiration for millions of overweight teens everywhere! This is TV that is worth watching!! Not like shows like "The Bachelor" where people play each other week after week all for the chance at winning a large sum of money.

I think that if more shows were like "The Biggest Loser," it would be a good step towards people actually caring a little bit more about each other and less about themselves.

But I still think that parts of the show are fixed for ratings. It seems to me no coincidence that Joelle was spared from being voted off last week. I think the producers wanted to keep her in the game to boost ratings, since she has had some very lively interactions with Bob (the trainer) and others. Plus, this last week, they had the Super Bowl challenge and brought on guest Kurt Warner, quarterback of the Arizona Cardinals. Now my question is, if this show was filmed over the summer, how on earth did they "by chance" select Kurt Warner to be a guest on the show? Somehow it is all a coincidence that Warner just happens to be leading the Arizona Cardinals in the Super Bowl this weekend against the Pittsburgh Steelers. Don't get me wrong... I have nothing but respect for Kurt Warner, what he has done, and how he gives glory back to God. But it is a strange coincidence, no? I mean, Warner was not even named the starting QB until after training camp. And on top of that, the Arizona Cardinals had not been to a Super Bowl since, what, like 1942?

I smell a conspiracy between the NFL and NBC...

1 comment:

April said...

bah hahahahaha! conspiracy! i love it Ben!!

and FINALLY! we have someone else obsessed with the BL now, yay! i heart that show!